Monday, January 14, 2013

Pondering the American Dream

It's been almost a year since I've blogged. Since then I've gotten addicted to Facebook and Pinterest and watched politics on Twitter. Blogging takes more work. But I'm back. I think.

I'm pondering the American dream right now. I have had the husband (died), the big beautiful house (lost it to taxes), three children (Thank God, they're healthy, grown, and mostly gone), the dogs (dead and not allowed where I live). So what do I do now? Live out my other dream? That dream is the one where I travel around the world and write about it, search for ancestors in libraries and archives and write about it. I actually can afford to do that right now, so what's stopping me? Me.

Having no real encumbrances is great in theory. It also means I have no home to call my own nor a man who cares if I come and go. There is a part of me that keeps yearning for a home, a man and a dog to make my life perfect. And if I had that, then I would dream of traveling around the world. Kind of stupid or just unrealistic to think I can have it all. I know some people do but I'm sure they dream about greener grass too.

Therefore I will do what I know I can and keep dreaming. Who knows, it could happen. Dreams do come true occasionally and prayers do get answered definitely.

3 comments:

Steve Dalton said...

Welcome back to blogging

Jessica Nunemaker from little Indiana said...

A thoughtful post. I wasn't going to comment but it stuck with me so I returned.

I'd like to think that we can have it all. I'll let'cha know if that happens. ;)

Jennifer said...

Thanks, you guys, for your comments. So often I feel like a lone tree falling in a forest.